Special Orders Sales Representative
Serving Ketchikan, Alaska and the surrounding area since 1967, Madison Lumber & Hardware Inc. is a locally owned building material dealer in southeast Alaska.
Special Order Department sales representatives are responsible for talking to customers to identify their project needs; researching the products they need and ordering the products; preparing the work order in the company’s computer system; following up on the items ordered from the company’s vendors; keeping the customer informed on the progress of the order; and invoicing the work order when the costs are finalized and the product has been delivered.
Special Order Sales Representatives are accountable for:
- Possessing a thorough knowledge of building materials, and to be able to explain the benefit, use and appropriateness of such.
- Accurately producing quotes, and clearly transmitting such to the customer.
- Ensuring that clients understand and agree to order specifications for the building materials they are ordering, and to ensure such information is accurately transmitted to vendors.
- For demonstrating product knowledge and using that knowledge for the Company’s competitive advantage.
- For building, fostering and maintaining relationships with customers, vendors and associates.
- For being “culture champions,” upholding and reflecting the values of the Company.
- At least 5 years’ experience within the building products supply industry, with 2 in building material sales.
- Experience in interfacing with and purchasing from building product vendors.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Possess the ability, written as well as verbal, to effectively present information to customers.
- Job requires some extended hours, as needed, to accomplish job requirements. The Company is open 7 days a week, so the work schedule will possibly include working a weekend day each week. The normal work week will be 5 days of work but the applicant will occasionally be asked to work a 6th day during the week.
- Job requires interaction with all levels within the Company, including sales team, yard employees, drivers and management.
- Job requires interaction with customers.